Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Lectio Divina on Psalm 123


Lectio Divina is a practice of meditating on a reading, often a sacred reading, that resonates with you. I'll ponder anything from Shakespeare's sonnets to ancient Chinese poetry. But my favorites for contemplation are the psalms.

Just read a passage until a line or phrase jumps out at you. Then repeat that phrase several times and then go silent for several minutes. Focus on your memory of the words. See what comes to you. When the ideas are exhausted return to the reading and continue.

For an example, I used psalm 123 for Lectio Divina and had quite an experience. I wrote about it for Progressive Christianity. You can read that here.

Try this with something important to you. It's an ancient form of meditation with deep roots in the western tradition. Meditating this way can give you an alternative to the silent focus on the breath that I write about so much.

I'll be online in conversation with The Ivy Bookshop on July 9th at 6:30p EDT. Please join me. Register here.

No comments:

Post a Comment